Friday, October 23, 2015

Crayon Fun

We have begun a new Co-op adventure this year with some new friends.  We are loving the chance to learn together with these families!

I get to teach writing to all the ages - which is something I love.  But, I also get to teach "literature" to our youngest students.

Basically, my assignment is to pick a fun kid's book, and come up with something creative for us to do.  I am so enjoying getting to revisit some old family favorites, and meet some new ones along the way.


This week we read "The Day the Crayons Quit" by Drew Daywait


We loved this book!  It instantly became a family favorite!!  Its a fun story about what happens when crayons find their "voices".

Here's what I pulled together for us to do....

First, we made our own Crayon People.  We glued googly eyes onto chunky crayons and added little "thought" bubbles of what we wanted them to say with paper and a toothpick.  We used hot glue to hold everything together.





Next,  I made a "All about Me" poster.  I took a large piece of paper and snipped off the top edge to make a crayon shape.  With sharpie I drew the lines to make it look like a large crayon.



Then, they colored it to be their favorite color. and in the center drew things that told everyone about them.  Favorite animals, favorite activities, anything they wanted to.



These turned out so cute!  Best of all,  I didn't spend anything (except some googly eyes...) and they loved the activities. (and I get an adorable reminder of my kiddos to hang up and show off to Grandma!)


We can't wait for the sequel... "The Day the Crayons Came Home" to arrive at the library!


No comments:

Post a Comment