Monday, March 7, 2011

American Girl Club Week 3 & 4








For our 3rd and 4th American Girl Club meetings (opps, got a little behind in the blog!) We covered Indian Games & Pastimes, and Indian Dress.

Week 3 - We made Cornhusk Dolls and learned String games. The girls voted this their favorite club! (bummer, I didn't even teach this one... I wanted to be the "favorite"!)

The corn husk dolls were such a hit, that my kiddos proceded to make an entire "tribe" of corn husk indians with the leftovers. But, one warning - our dog thought this was her "favorite" activity as well, and has been happily "scalping" all the corn husk dolls she can get her paws on!

We also learned String games. Cat's cradle, the teacup, all those oldie-but-goodies. I think that the Moms may have had just as much fun as our girls.




The MCA (masculine club of awesomeness) continued their book discussions and are being challenged to "Do Hard Things". Plus - the weather was beautiful, so there was a bunch of football going on.

Week 4 - Indian Dress
So, this week we talked about Indian clothing (elk teeth and porcupine quill decorations = indian "bling").



We also, made Indian Headbands with our own personal touches.
And, we taught the girls how to braid hair. Everyone left looking very "authentic". I was a little self-conscious to have to stop for gas with indian braids in my red hair - and an indian headband on... but, I love pay-at-the-pump, don't you?!




The MCA got lost in the woods, but we managed to round up most of them. The boys are finding this adventure as much (maybe even more) fun than our girls! Now, I'm looking for more ideas for them to pursue. What an amazing group of families!!



This is my little "bluebird" showing us some Indian sign language (just in case you were wondering -what are they doing there?!)

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun. I don't think that I have more than a vague recollection of any of those string games. Time to do a google search. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun. My girls love dressing up like Indians. I'm stopping by on the Blog Walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so fun. I live in a boy house, so this is all so fascinating to me. =) I'm stopping by with the blog walk, and I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m out on enjoying my blog walk and wanted to stop by to say hi. You all must have had a great time, it sure looks like fun!
    I’m now following you :)
    Hope you have an amazing day!!
    ~ Nanette
    http://thejoysofhomeschooling.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter LOVES American Girls :-)

    Dropping by on the TOS Blog Walk. I'm following you via GFC.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great headbands!!! looks like so much fun! I love those redheads. I have one redhead, but my brother has 4 (he's a redhead himself). I'm following with GFC, hope you'll follow me back ;-) www.ourbestdaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete