Golden Prairie Press - "To really understand what life was like years ago, history must go beyond words on a page. Recipes must be cooked, games must be played, historical art must be examined, and crafts must be done." We couldn't agree more!
Heroes, Heroines, and Tales of Ancient History brings ancient history to life.
This package includes:
- Heroes, Heroines, and Tales of Ancient History Part 1 - 75 Lessons for the first half of the year.
- Heroes, Heroines, and Tales of Ancient History Part 2 - 75 Lessons for the second half of the year.
- Additional Materials CD - This CD has supplemental materials. There are printable timelines, a video, color artwork, audio pronunciations, and much more.
- Historical Skits - Performing historical skits is a great way to bring history to life. View a sample.
- Sing Some Ancient History CD - This CD contains the songs mentioned in the books. Listen to a sample.
- Listen to Some Ancient History MP3 CD - An audio collection of original speeches, letters, and documents that are mentioned in the books. Listen to a sample.
This is a full 30 week history curriculum. I was able to preview the downloadable version. It is divided into 2 parts. These are HUGE PDF files. I was very impressed with it, so I went ahead and printed out Part 1 and put it into a 3 ring binder. I like being able to page through a book, rather than scroll :-). You could also use this on your eReader as well. View the table of contents and sample pages. The lessons are beautifully done, with full color art and scripture throughout.
This is a very rich curriculum, but easy to open and jump in. There is a beginner section for first and second grades and a more advanced section for third through sixth grades. Included in the text are activities that go along with each lesson:
- Examining Historical Art
- Games of the Past
- Cook Up Some History
- Sing Some Ancient History
- Listen to Some Ancient History
Weeks are broken into 5 manageable lessons, approx. 30-60 minute each. You can easily adapt this curriculum to fit your child, include multiple ages and grades too. I think it would be a perfect curriculum for Co-op classes as well.
In addition, writing prompts and comprehension questions are included for you to ensure your student is retaining the information. Maps and geography lessons are woven in too. I have always found that learning by doing is the best way to make the lessons stick.
This is exactly how we like to do history - by experiencing it. Recipes, games and crafts create a permanent impression on my children. We never forget what we eat, play or create!
Several of the Ancient Historical Skits need only 2-3 performers. My testers loved acting out a skit, rather than just memorizing dates. The 10 skits included are from the time of ancient Greece and the Early Christian era (more are coming in 2016). They will remember the interactions between the historical characters so much better when they get to "become" the character!
The audio CD's make the perfect companion for your car time. You can listen to the music, hear speeches and more.
Also available as an online class
Digital edition, also available in a printed edition
I can't say enough about this history - you will want to check it out for yourself! Don't just read about history this year, EXPERIENCE it!
I recieved a free copy of this product in exchange for my honest opinion. I am disclosing in accordance with FCC regulations. All comments are my own.