Friday, January 17, 2014

Our Homeschool Trail...

I have a sign hanging in my home.  A simple wooden sign, but one that spoke to my heart, and I just had to have it to hang up. 




"Do not follow where the path may lead, instead go where there is no path and leave a trail"


I hung it in our stairway, so we would see it every trip up and down the stairs.  It's been an encouragement on tough days, but recently - a conviction too.

Some new friends came over to talk with us about homeschooling.  They are considering this option for their family, and wisely "counting the cost" before beginning.  Their children are young, and they have reached the fork in the road...  Do they go the well traveled route, or take that "road less traveled"?

As my husband and I shared about our homeschooling journey, which is now in it's 12th year, I began to think of how much we have learned along the "road less traveled".

I wouldn't trade a second of the journey to have traveled on the well worn path.  Has it been difficult?  Oh course!   Has it always been fun?  Of course not!   But, has it always been "best" for our family?  No doubt!

As we encouraged this young family to simply follow where God is leading them, I felt God asking me "Have you left a trail to follow?"

So, I thought I'd take a couple of minutes and "leave a trail".  Will this be your path?  I don't know.  But, the lessons learned along the journey are surely worth sharing. 

First, simply trust the one who took you this direction.  Simple I know - in theory.  When God began to whisper to our hearts about homeschooling, I could not have been more resistant.  Really, I  worked in the Superintendent's office of our public school and snickered at parents that came to "bring their children home."   I thought that HE had probably made a mistake and really wanted someone else to do this, surely - not me!

But, HE did mean us, and everywhere we went, we could not escape HIS calling to us.  Every radio show, every magazine article, every new friend we met - all were messages about the benefits and wonders of homeschooling.   "Okay enough! I'll think about it", was my reply.

All God needed was just a tiny window of opportunity.  We started down the homeschooling path...  Certainly not blazing any trails... just a blind faith walk really.

Now, 12 years and 8 children later, it's still just a blind faith walk.  I can tell you wholeheartedly, this is exactly where we were supposed to go.  I made a deal with Him - I'll do this, but only if you show up too!  I'm not going without you...  HE has faithfully kept his end of our deal.  Showing up to whisper - "this is the way, walk in it".

 If God calls you on this path, HE's planning to go with you!  You just follow him, and it'll all turn out alright.

I plan on continuing this with some more of our "trails" soon,  keep in touch! 

No comments:

Post a Comment