Thursday, February 3, 2011

Kaya - American Girl Week 2






What a Beautiful day for our 2nd American Girl Club meeting!

We were fortunate enough to meet at our "country" location, so that everyone could "follow the buffalo trail" to the "salmon country"...
Translated... we got to take the girls out in the woods!

We talked about Indian Homes and beliefs. Lani researched the Nez Perce Indian homes online, and discovered the tule mats were used for building material. So, off to Wal-Mart she went... since, tule is rare around here - burlap was a great alternative (even 50% off!).
The girls made burlap... I mean - tule teepees. They used the burlap in a cone shape - which they glued small rectangle "tule" patches onto. These were slipped over a cleverly designed wood frame (i.e. bamboo skewers rubber banded together). Way to go Lani - great craft! And, to make it even better - our "indian guide" dressed the part in indian clothing, turquoise jewerly and braids! (I love it when everyone is excited to join in the fun!!!)




I was with the MCA (the Masculine Club of Awesomeness...) Can I just say, teenage and almost teenage boys are soooo cool. Really, I know I started this for the girls, but the boys are full of awesomeness too! We are discussing the book - "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris. I challenged them to ask God for the "hard thing" he has for the MCA to do, I can't wait to hear about it! Then, we broke off into 2 seperate book discussions (depending upon the book they have choosen - "Dectectives in Togas" or "Men of Iron") and the boys led the discussion. All this scholarly activity was followed by a good run around the woods.

And, the littles were happily occupied with toys and rolling in the grass. Who would believe 70 degrees and sunny in late January?

1 comment:

  1. My 6 year old LOVES American Girls. What a cute idea! Love the teepee! And, I am cannot wait until it is 70 degrees here again!! You have a beautiful family. So glad you found my blog and thanks for following! Love to meet other mom's with lots of kiddos! I look forward to reading your blog. www.8aplenty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete