Friday, August 17, 2018

God Schooling: How God Intended Children to Learn from Julie Polanco: A TOS Crew Review

Julie Polanco Books
God Schooling book

God Schooling: How God Intended Children to Learn from Julie Polanco

Julie Polanco BooksIt's good to take some time and remind yourself of the importance of this homeschooling journey!  I've just finished reading God Schooling: How God Intended Children to Learn from Julie Polanco.  

The author, Julie Polanco, is a veteran homeschooling mom of four, graduating her first child in 2016 (my first graduated in 2016!).  She writes for the  The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, Home Education Magazine, many trade publications, and has developed a high school botany course for www.schoolhouseteachers.com.


This 9 chapter book is divided into 2 parts:  Dispelling Myths and Practice.

 In the first part, Julie outlines the Biblical support for natural learning, and talks about motivation and excellence.  I was drawn in right away.  I have homeschooled for 16 years, and have seen many different approaches, and used many of them myself.  I've never actually followed an "unschooling" style schedule like the author, so I was fascinated to read her descriptions.  I found my self agreeing with many of her points!  The freedom vs. enslavement to curriculum and programming, the reliance on the Lord to direct our path, and a reminder to avoid the world's deceptive philosophies all resonated with my heart.  I didn't always agree with her points, but I find it helps me better define my beliefs when I get a chance to read a different opinion.

In the chapter - Motivation & Excellence, she describes the difference between external and internal motivation.  She makes many valid points about encouraging the internal motivation of our children to learn without external rewards, she calls them "bribes".  I may tend to disagree with her here... I have used external motivators very successfully to help train my children into developing internal motivation.  Especially in the area of instrument practice!  However, I really enjoyed reading this chapter and picking up new ideas along the way.

The second part of the book focuses on the "Practice" part of walking a path of natural learning.

Julie includes chapters for each age group - children under Eight,  ages 8-12, and teens.  No matter where you are on this journey, it is refreshing to read from someone who has "been there, done that".  She makes many statements which sound like facts, but should be taken more as generalizations from her own experience.  I have taught many children, including my own, during our co-op years.  It has taught me that there are very few hard "facts" about how children learn! Nevertheless, there are many gems of encouragement in these chapters.

The final chapters discuss how to get started, what record keeping looks like, and some common questions and answers.  

Each chapter includes a page of Study Questions you can use to discuss the book together.  This would make a great homeschool mom style book club read.  


The Bibliography is a tool for you as well!  Julie has done her research, and the book is filled with quotes from well known and respected leaders in the home education field.


I enjoyed reading this book, even if I found that I didn't always agree with every point. If you are needing some encouragement, contemplating making a change to your approach, or struggling to find the joy - you may want to pick up your own copy!  Through August 22, 2018 you can purchase the e-book for 1/2 the price on Amazon.

God Schooling: How God Intended Children to Learn {Julie Polanco Reviews}

Find Julie Polanco on Social Media: 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/juliepolancobooks/ @juliepolancobooks
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/jpolancobooks/

Hashtags:
#hsreviews, #GodSchooling, #ChristianUnschooling, #RelaxedHomeschooling
See what other members of the Crew thought here
God Schooling: How God Intended Children to Learn {Julie Polanco Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment