Friday, January 2, 2015

A Facebook Fast




This Advent,  my son challenged me to fast FB for the entire month of December.  WHAT?!   After a few moments of hyperventilating, I realized I may NEED to do this. (plus, he dared me...said he didn't think I could actually do it!)

So, with children gathered around...  I actually deleted FB from my phone!  Yikes, no easing into it...cold turkey.  Funny note, when I deleted the FB app, I didn't realize I couldn't reload it because of my old, un-updated phone.

What happened?

Well,  after breaking the endless habit of looking at FB "just for a quick minute, kids" - I began to enjoy my freedom:
  •  I didn't have to try to keep up with everyone. 
  • I didn't add extra "holiday activities" to our calendar, because I had see how great they were on FB. 
  • I stopped living somewhere else, and really enjoyed living right where I am.
  • I multiplied my time!  I had no clue how many "minutes" I had been losing every day.

Lest you think I am preaching...  I have to confess that my FB fast ended several days before I planned to.  I got a new IPhone 6 and the FB app magically reappeared - maybe a divine sign that I had learned the lesson HE intended :-) 

 Best of all,  I got to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment