Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think form Parenting Made Practical: A TOS Crew Review

parenting made practical

Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think DVDTaming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think Book
    Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think (book) & Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think (DVD) from Parenting Made Practical

Do you ever wonder if "blah, blah, blah" is what your children really hear when you ask them to do something? If so, you will want to join me, and spend time with Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think (book) & Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think (video) from Parenting Made Practical.


This set is designed for parents with children ages 8-college - EXACTLY my age range!  Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think (book) is a 12 chapter, 160 page softcover book filled with some much needed encouragement for parents.  The Appendix offers addition resource recommendations for both parents and teens.



I will admit, after all these years of parenting, I may have "thought" I'd probably not be able to learn much from this book... I WAS WRONG! 

From the first chapter,  I found myself agreeing with the author's perspective.  Then, I went into my children's room, and saw the piles of clean-but-not-put-away laundry, and I knew we needed to get back "on the horse" and start some heart training around here!

There are so many gems of wisdom in this book,  I have been recommending it to everyone! 

 I realized how I have been "lecturing" and my children have NOT been hearing any of it.  I was encouraged to start asking simple yes and no questions to get them to THINK for themselves.  This is a much more useful tool.  I have been using this new approach on all my children.  It's very helpful to both my attitude (not getting frustrated) and their responses.

I needed to be reminded that until their hearts are teachable, by realizing their sin, they will not be able to change behavior.  WOW - not only for our children, this is for us too!  Consistency has always been a struggle for me, I start well...  the author's recommend on picking an area to work on, and stick with that until you see results, instead of trying to do it all at once.  I decided we would go back to the start with immediate obedience - our saying is "Right away, all the way, the happy way" (not from the book).  

Letting our children redefine the rules is a dangerous slope.  I love the frank, honest and Biblical foundations in this book.  Disobedience is sin.  Throughout the book you will find Scripture to back up the parenting principles discussed.  In addition, personal testimonies are included.



The authors, Joey and Carla Link, have over 20 years family ministry experience. In the 53 min. DVD, they share the main points of the book.  I highly recommend reading the book first, and then watching the DVD as a reminder or refresher.  They both share, role-play examples, and offer a downloadable PDF of notes.  This would make an excellent resource for a small group study.




This has been a timely resource, and VERY helpful.  You will definitely want to check this one out!  Other members of the Crew have gotten a chance to explore more resources from Parenting Made Practical:
Find Parenting Made Practical on Social Media:
Hashtags:#hsreviews #parenting, #dating, #courtin, #family
Parenting Made Practical {Reviews}

Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment